Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Deadpool Movie Impressions



Let me preface this by saying I have never cared much for Deadpool. His humor has just never connected with me on any level. Between the "chimichanga" jokes, and the mustaches and sombreros, he's just never been my cup of tea. So when I heard about the long rumored Deadpool movie becoming a reality it's safe to say I was less than enthused. Well I guess it's time for me to face the music because I have to admit, this is probably the most fun superhero movie since Guardians of the Galaxy. And while Guardians is still my gold standard for the genre, I'm sure Deadpool doesn't mind the silver medal. 

The plot is basic and pretty trivial for me, the main attraction here is Ryan Reynolds playing the role he was made for. Imagine his character from Waiting but pumped full of bath salts and gun powder. The one-liners and fourth wall breaks almost all hit the mark, especially his references to Hugh Jackman and the X-Men movies. After the disservice to the character in X-men Origins: Wolverine, it was great to see him finally get his big screen due.

The hyper violence and cursing while over the top and crazy, never left me feeling like it was used as a crutch. There is however a noticeable portion of about 20 minutes in the middle of the movie where I felt like the pacing just dragged to a halt. And while the flashbacks to Wade's time before being Deadpool are good for establishing him as something a little more than a homicidal lunatic, I couldn't help but look forward to going back to the present day and continuing on with the merc with a mouth.

As long as you aren't easily offended, I definitely recommend going to the theater and seeing Deadpool. It made a believer out of me which is really saying something, and who doesn't need a few Ryan Reynolds crotch shots in their life? 




-Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment