Saturday, April 29, 2017

International Tabletop Day 2017



Hello Nerd Corpers (Yeah, I need to work on that), Big O here!  Today is April 29th, but it is also International Tabletop Day 2017.  As our listeners may know, we recently did a tabletop themed episode of the podcast:


In honor of the day, I thought it would be nice to do a short write up of what tabletop games have meant to me.  When I was younger, I had a group that I played Dungeons & Dragons with.  I was still relatively new to the game at the time so this was a learning experience.  The person running the game was one of my best friends Mike, another friend of mine, and I didn’t know the other members but we quickly bonded.  This campaign was one of my favorites, even to this day.  The story I told on the podcast about the sleeping ninja happened during this adventure.  We met up weekly and this campaign went on for months.  This continued, until Mike died.  Something that still bothers me to this day.  Obviously, we were all very distraught when this happened.  We decided to honor his memory by meeting up and starting a new campaign in his honor.  This campaign is still what I refer to as my favorite of all time.  I can only speak for myself, but getting together with everyone and playing every week was very cathartic for me and helped me deal with a lot of very complex emotions I was experiencing.  I will always be grateful to those friends and that story. 

Today, I am celebrating the day by having some friends over, ordering some pizza, and playing a bunch of games.  I want to encourage all of you to sit with someone you love and even if you are just playing a quick had of Uno, just spend a little time bonding with each other.  Who knows, you might make a memory.  Thanks for letting me get personal for a minute and I want everyone to have a great day. 

-Big O

No comments:

Post a Comment