Friday, March 9, 2018

A Normal Lost Phone Review


Who is Sam?

            A few weeks ago I was browsing upcoming releases section of the Nintendo eShop and a game caught my attention.  A Normal Lost Phone is a mystery game with a simple concept.  You find a random smart phone and you have to go through it to figure out what happened to the owner.  The game has a six dollar price tag on the Switch so I figured it was worth a try.  What I got was a surprisingly complex story told in a new and interesting style. 

            A Normal Lost Phone was made by a French company named Accidental Queens that, according to the description on their website “seek to create games that feature new mechanics, exploring topics from everyday life and social questions, through innovative narrative tools.”  One of the things I found so fascinating about this game was the gameplay.  All you’re doing is looking through a phone.  No shooting zombies or quick time events, just browsing a smart phone.  That may sound boring to some people but I found it strangely comfortable since I spend so much time on my phone anyway.  You understand the story by searching the text, emails, and websites Sam has visited.  Many of the puzzles you solve revolve around finding passwords to programs that are locked.  Here you have to use what you learn about Sam to progress through the game and continue the story. 

            The gameplay sounds simple (and it is), but what keeps you playing is the story.  You feel like you get to know the people in Sam’s life through their conversations.  One of the problems with reviewing games that revolve around their story is that it is hard to explain why you should care about these characters without giving too much of the plot away.  I became hooked and constantly found myself digging through old messages to find the clue that would unlock the next piece of the puzzle.

            In case it wasn’t obvious, my overall impressions of this game are very positive.  The only drawback that might deter some people is the length of the game.  I was able to beat it in about two and a half hours, and I really read through all of the text.  If a person were to ignore a lot of the optional information then they could probably beat it much faster.  Even though the game is short, you’re not exactly going to break the bank the bank getting it.  The switch version retails at $5.99 and iPhone/Android/Steam version goes for $2.99.  In my mind, well worth the experience you will receive.  My final verdict is if you have a few hours to kill and enjoy games that require deductive reasoning, this is a must play.  Also, if you want to support Accidental Queens, there is a spiritual sequel to A Normal Lost Phone called Another Lost Phone: Laura’s Story available on iPhone/Android/Steam.  You can bet I’ll be playing that tonight.  I might even do another write-up for it. 


-Big O

No comments:

Post a Comment