Wednesday, October 7, 2015

IT CAME FROM THE BACKLOG: Mark of the Ninja



IT CAME FROM THE BACKLOG: Mark of the Ninja
10/7/2015

Game of the Week: Mark of the Ninja
Date downloaded: 12/20/2012

            Just like the titular ninja in today’s game, this week snuck past me before I knew it. It didn’t help matters that I purchased Destiny the other day, which took up a ton of my time. Combine that with work and those pesky necessities called eating and sleeping, I ended up not having much time for Mark of the Ninja. But I made a promise to myself and all you fine people that I would grab my shuriken and katana and take to the roofs in the dead of night, so that’s exactly what I did.

            Mark of the Ninja starts out simply enough. You are awoken to your dojo under siege by an unknown armed military force. Your ninja brethren are falling left and right. It appears you may be the next to join the fallen, until a female ninja shows up to help you escape. The game takes it easy on you for the first ten minutes but it turns on you very fast. The enemies are hyper aware of all the sounds you make. Sneaking through an area without being detected at all felt practically impossible.

            Judging by the achievement list, I believe I made it about halfway though. The two hour deadline I gave myself was surpassed by an hour and a half, although I must admit that a chunk of that was being stuck on a particularly challenging room. Let’s just say, lasers and armed guards are not a ninja’s friend. Making things harder is the fact that it only takes about 2 shots to drop you, so being seen is almost always game over.

            After playing so much Playstation 4 lately, the game doesn’t look great to my eyes. The cell shaded art style helps make it seem less dated, but I felt like I could see all the rough edges. I know my eyes just need to get readjusted to the 360, and they will as I work my way down the list. But the time has come to eliminate this game from the backlog. The plan is to finish Mark of the Ninja’s story this week. But even if I don’t, I feel confident that I experienced what this game has to offer. So goodbye Ninja, get the hell off my backlog.
 
Backlog Games

Xbox 360:
Alice: Madness Returns                                          
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Borderlands 2
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Charlie Murder
Deadlight
DmC Devil May Cry
Dungeon Defenders
Dust: An Elysian Tail
El Shaddai
Eternal Sonata
GTA San Andreas HD 
Halo: Reach
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Lara Croft: Guardians of Light
Mark of the Ninja
Mass Effect 3: DLC
Monaco
Portal: Still Alive
Rock of Ages
Runner 2
Shadow Complex
Shank 2

Playstation 4:
Apotheon
Broken Age
Costume Quest 2
Don’t Starve
Ether One
Far Cry 4
Fez
Grim Fandango
Grow Home
Home
Infamous: First Light
Journey
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros
Never Alone
Oddworld: Abe’s ODDysee
Rayman Legends
Rogue Legacy
Secret Ponchos
Skulls of the Shogun
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
Styx: Master of Shadows
Super Ultra Time Force
The Swapper
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Transistor
Uncharted 1,2,3 (Nathan Drake Collection)
Valiant Hearts: The Great War 

            Next week's game will be Alice: Madness Returns for Xbox 360. I'm trying to get my hands on a video capture card, so hopefully soon I will have more pictures and of a better quality. I will normally have stories about things that happen in the game, but nothing crazy or funny happened with Mark of the Ninja so this post is shorter than it normally will be. Until next week everybody, hopefully we don't get too hurt falling down this rabbit hole.


-Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment